Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell Now Funding on Kickstarter!
About this project
A holy warrior fighting back infernal beasts on the precipice of a fiery pit. Cloaked figures chanting an incantation to bring forth a nameless beast. A man standing at a crossroads bartering with a demonic temptress for fame and fortune; the price of which is his very soul.
Advisers to kings and queens, dictators and presidents, whispering lies at the behest of their demon lords with the fate of nations resting on whether or not the advice is heeded. A scientist examining a strange artifact found on a distant planet that, unbeknownst to him, opens a mysterious gate to a nightmarish dimension when a button is pushed.
These are just a sampling of the myriad images which come to mind when we think of Hell. Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell, brings those images to life and shows you how to plug them into your games, regardless of what genre you love to play!
The goal of Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell is not to produce a “One Size Fits All” book on Hell which pigeonholes you into a certain style of play. Concepts of Hell, Demons, Devils, etc. mean many things to many different people. While this book includes a built-in, ready to use Infernal Realm, it also gives you everything you need to design a Hellish dimension that caters to your specific group, because the concepts and rules we introduce in this book transcend genre, encouraging you to explore new possibilities for your Savage Worlds game.
Want to play a game set in a distant future, where fringe science has ripped a hole in the fabric of reality, unleashing the hordes of Hell on earth?
How about a gritty, "Constantine-esque" type of setting where demons and angels fight a shadow war, with humanity caught in the middle?
Maybe an Over-the-top 70’s style super hero action game in the vein of the Nocturnals, Hellboy, Ghost Rider, Spawn, or Clive Barker’s Harrowers is more your style?
Perhaps you’re looking to run a fantasy game in the vein of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time epic, or the Diablo III and World of Warcraft franchises, where your heroes must confront the forces of darkness to save the world?
We’ve got you covered.
With this book, you can easily create your own unique, sinister realm, and memorable villains that compliment those types of games.
So, what’s in this 128 page full color Graphic Novel-size book?
In a word: Potential.
Potential to create character concepts ranging from anti-heroes, champions of the light, tragic heroes cursed their own choices, and everything in between.
Potential to design new creatures, demon cults, and entire Hellscapes using advice from the best writers in the genre, specialized setting rules, and genre trappings! You’ll also find:
- Ready-to-play character archetypes for a variety of genres
- A ready-to-play setting where your players battle to escape a Hellish realm...or perhaps try to control it for themselves.
- New Demonic races
- New Edges and Arcane Backgrounds
- New magic items and relics of power
- Campaign models for a variety of genres
- An optional "Vancian" spell system.
- Rules for exorcism, demonic pacts, demonic possession, and an optional corruption system
- Rules for playing immortal characters!
- Rules for enchanting items, and much more!
Oh... Didn't we mention monsters? Yeah, We got you covered there too...in spades.
The pledge levels on your right grant you access to Adventure Packs; short adventures that take up one or two game sessions each. Each adventure (or series of adventures, as you’ll see below) in these seven packs highlights a different type of genre of play, but they all have hellish themes, highlighting the utility of Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell! In total, there are 30 adventures from some of the best writers and game designers in the industry!
Adventure Pack 1: John Dunn: "Prisoner of Time" Teams of heroes confront the immortal demon Maltheus in different eras. Each attempts to recapture it and contain its militant and destructive tendencies.
Adventure Pack 2: Gareth Michael Skarka: "The Spectacular Supernaturals!" Gareth delivers some old-school comic action, writing five 70s-horror-hero-inspired Infernal superhero adventures in the vein of Marvel's GHOST RIDER, SON OF SATAN, and WEREWOLF BY NIGHT, and DC's DEADMAN and SWAMP THING!
Adventure Pack 3: Sean Patrick Fannon: "The Final Trumpet Pact" It began in Sarajevo in 1914, and it continues a century later in Sevastopol - a desperate cat-and-mouse game and running battle between those who've worn the pins of the Silver Blade and those who seek to hear the sound of the Final Trumpet. A secret order works behind the scenes of terrible strife and crisis, trying to stop demons and their cultists from sounding the call for Armageddon. Can the heroes stop them?
Adventure Pack 4: Monica Valentinelli: "The Abyssal Crusade" A five-part series of adventures taking the heroes through five different hell dimensions on a quest to return the "Codex Gigas," or, The Devil’s Bible, to its rightful place before all hell breaks loose on the earthly plane!
Adventure Pack 5: Eddy Webb: "The Spheres" This Adventure pack is a set of 5 loosely connected adventures, all based around a collection of mysterious spheres, and the troubles they bring to anyone connected with them!
Adventure Pack 6: Adventure Pack 6 is filled with all manner of hellish goodness from four celebrated authors and game designers.
- Clint Black: Critically Acclaimed author of Necessary Evil, Clint Black takes you on “The Road to Hell.” God is gone and no one in Heaven or Hell knows where, but a group of angels decides it's a sign to start the Apocalypse on Earth. Since the other angels won't act without God's Word and Hell can't act directly on the mortal world, the Lords call on those touched by Hell's power; the Infernals. These dark heroes must protect humanity...or there will be Hell to pay.
- Shane Hensley: The creator of Savage Worlds himself brings you "Shrouded Turin" Some say the famous Piazza Statuto depicts an angel watching over the souls of fallen workers of the Frejus Tunnel--crushed to death in the dark bowels of the earth. Others say the figure atop this strange and macabre statue is no angel. They point to the inverted star above its head, the "blessing" cast with its left hand, and the horrible, pallid, crushed figures beneath as proof of a much more Hellish origin. Are the sewers below truly a doorway to Hell itself? What foul things may even now be slinking forth from the depraved depths to cast the city--perhaps even the world--in darkness?
- John Wick: "Hell Hunters" The players take the roles of angels hunting down demons who have escaped the Pit. Their jobs are simple: get the demon, throw it back down. At least, the job sounds simple.
- John Goff: "Good Intentions" The heroes respond to an urgent request to rescue a local noble and his household who are under attack by a band of brigands. Upon arrival, they find the raiders appear to have far darker goals than mere robbery or ransom, as the noble's residence sits atop an old Templar stronghold--one which legend claims guarded a gate to Hell itself.
Adventure Pack 7: “Dead Planet” David Jarvis takes you to a distant future and crash lands you on a planet that isn’t supposed to exist; Nibiru. In this five-part series, you’ll struggle to survive and maintain your sanity as you contend with the hellish inhabitants of this planet.
Can you escape the Dead Planet?